Thursday, January 18, 2007

More Office Move

As I mentioned before, our office is moving around the corner so that all the attorneys can be in the same office. It's a pretty good space, and things should be smooth when we eventually get there... but as they say, the journey is half the fun.

I was in court on Tuesday and had a relatively short day, all things considered. I got back to the old office around 3 to find that the movers were getting to my office next. Sweet! The move that had been set for Dec. 11th, and then Dec 28th, and then January 2nd, was finally happening! So, all my boxes of files, and all my furniture was packed up and put on the moving trucks for the trip around the corner. The computer was left sitting on the floor waiting for some further action. So, I left the office on Tuesday excited to get to the new office on Wed. morning. Ha ha.

Wed. morning I stopped by the old office because I remembered I had left a jacket and tie hanging on the back of my door. Lucky I went there first because I got word that the new building was not done (?!?). So, all my files and furniture was gone, and in my office was a sad looking disassembled computer and a phone, both sitting on the floor. So, with no office to use, and no files, how can you get work done? You can't. You can't even go to the jail to talk to people, because all the information for their cases is neatly packed away in the mover's possession.

This morning I almost went to the new building, but thought better of it. I went to the old office where there was nothing left (report to work so you can sit around and watch the dust collect on what used to be a productive workspace), and we had a meeting to start the day. Good news: The new office is almost ready; bad news: I'm on a trial calendar, and the computers etc. won't be moved and set up until next week! But I am to report to the new office in the morning when my floor should be done.

If you work for the government, initiative and hard work are always punished. That's just the way the county wants it. I tried to move my computer myself. I tried to do the right thing for my clients and prepare my new office for workable space. So, I picked up my computer and carried it out to my car in preparation to bring it with me first thing in the morning. Apparently, moving a computer is next on the "BAD" list right below murder, right above arson. I somehow started a shit-storm. Administrators were calling, people were saying, "Hey THEY'RE looking for you." You'd think that I had killed ten children.

So, I am now directed to move the computer back to my old office where it will sit on the floor, wait for the movers, sit in their truck, move one block, then get moved into the new building to a conference room where it will be left in the computer farm for delivery to my new office some time in 2009.

Ahhhh, government work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home