Monday, July 02, 2007

Public Defender kiddnapped at gunpoint

One of my coworkers was kidnapped at gun point Saturday night/Sunday morning. It happened about a mile from my house in East Atlanta. He and another attorney paid the bill at the East Side Lounge, then headed for the car. They were carjacked and driven to a house in Cabbagetown where they were tied up and left for 14 hours. Two men were arrested using their credit cards, and gave up the location of the two kidnapped men.

Thanks goodness this story had as happy an ending as was possible. His family was fearing the worst when he had not been found the next day.

This appears to be a robbery, not someone that he knew. When I first got a call from another coworker saying that he had been kidnapped, I thought that this was some disgruntled client. I've gotten some threatening words before, but nothing I ever took seriously. My stomach dropped when I first heard about this, but I'm glad that he is home with his family now.

5 Comments:

Blogger swd said...

Dude. Wow.

8:03 AM  
Blogger swd said...

Well, the skinny is that those guys are going to be charged in our county.

That should be interesting, as they are going to be represented by PD's, I am sure.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

I'm trying to figure out if the state system would create a conflict if he's a state employee, and the conflict could be imputed to all other state employed PDs....

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does that extend to all criminal defense lawyers. Can noone represent him. I think a PD from another circuit would not be a conflict. He may scream foul but legally I don't think he has a leg to stand on. Besides...he made his bed...

9:59 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Well, that's not exactly how conflicts work, but I see your point.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home