Thursday, May 31, 2007

Who needs "Discovery" anyway?

'Discovery' is a term we use to describe anything that the State is
planning to use against out clients. It includes statements of
witnesses, photographs, videos, police reports, criminal histories,
etc. Most of our cases involve police reports and witness statements,
and not much more. Occasionally on bigger cases we have the crime
scene photos that you see on t.v. or the video taped statement of our
client confessing.

Today I was looking through one of my cases which I inherited from
another attorney in my office. It was rather thin when I got it, and
it looked pretty empty for a case that was on the trial calendar. The
only note in the file was, "gave only copy of discovery to client."

I received this case the day the judge called the trial calendar....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home