Monday, August 21, 2006

David Sedaris


You have to read books by David Sedaris. He is a great writer, and a lot of his stuff is really funny. I just finished his book Naked, a collection of his essays. It was pretty good, almost as good as Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim. I've heard that Me Talk Pretty One Day is also a great book, so I think that one will be next for me. The two that I've read are collections of essays about his life, mostly from when he was growing up in North Carolina. His stories are pretty amazing. I hear that the best way to experience his writing is to hear him read it. He is on NPR every once and a while, but I don't usually catch him there. There's a really good reason to listen to more NPR!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Listening to Sedaris is really a great way to experience his writing. If you want to be a total dork, you can search for him on the NPR website and hear stuff that way. I am a total dork. :)

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also good is Chuck Kloosterman. I think I lent my favorite book of his "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs" to your wifey but I can't remember if she liked it. Also to the wifey - Liberty Tonio gave me a David Sedaris book for our Secret Santa exchange. I miss that little Kimmie Gibbler.

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I borrowed Me Talk Pretty One Day from Emmie, and it was in fact very funny.

I had forgotten about Kloosterman. Now that you mention it, I think I may have liked Cocoa Puffs better than Talk Pretty and Courderoy and Denim because it had more references to pop culture that I could totally get in to. As I recall, there was an entire chapter about MTVs The Real World. A whole chapter! And I knew every member from every season. Now that is modern literature my friends.

I miss lil Kimmie too. I wonder if she has started school yet? You've just inspired me to email her...

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home