Friday, July 27, 2007

My First Trial?

I have a client who I represent on several cases. He's charged in another county for a similar crime. He's on a trial calendar for August, meaning that his cases will go to trial in August, or perhaps September. Although I have not tried a single case in my long career as a lawyer, this may be one of my first trials. I've been "second chair" in a few cases, Drug Trafficking, Child Molestation, Armed Robbery, and I've picked a bunch of juries. All good, practical experience, but I have yet to take the final step of representing my own client all the way through trial.

This particular client has four cases in my county, one in the next county over, and even managed to get himself onto the local news for at least one of the cases. He just happened to be in the courtroom that I took over last month. Before his case comes up though, I will have been second chair on a Murder, and first or second chair on a Rape case. When I moved courtrooms, I really got thrown into the mix. I don't mind at all, but it's been trial by fire very quickly (excuse the pun).

So far, I've been able to deal with the stress. We'll see what I'm made of when I am on the eve of trial and preparing these cases.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home