Saturday, March 10, 2007

Picked another jury, took another plea

We had a repeat from a few weeks ago. That Armed Robbery trial never happened, and now an Aggravated Assault trial didn't happend. I'm getting some good practice picking juries though.

My trial partner filed a demand for speedy trial, so the court had two months to try this case or it would be dismissed. So, Wednesday we picked a jury and were ready to open on Thursday morning. Thursday morning I was sitting at our table across from the prosecutor who looked and me and shook her head.... and started laughing. She said, "why are we here?" She had just talked to the victim in the case who said that this "Aggravated Assault" was just a misunderstanding and that he didn't think they should even go forward.

"It's a battery, give her time served."

So, our client was released from jail and will only get a misdemeanor on her record. She plead guilty to battery, got put on misdemeanor probation, and will get anger management along with alcohol and drug treatment. All good things.

It's a good outcome for our client who was facing 20 years in prison, so we're happy about that. It was a waste of time, but good practice I guess. It was only a waste in time in that we could have taken this plea earlier in the process, but it was well worth the time and effort to get this result for our client.

Hard work and perseverance ARE worth something! ! Luckily, my trial partner has both in spades. I won't take any credit for this one, since it's his case. I just hope I can be as good as he is some time soon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anger Management Classes are a great arguing point when fighting for clients freedom As an anger management expert I am seeing an increase in clients who join my classes before the court orders them. Many defendants are being proactive in hopes the court will see them as repentive.

Shannon Munford
www.daybreakservices.com

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home