Sunday, October 23, 2005

Working against the MAN

Work this week was an interesting departure from the norm. My counterpart on the prosecution's side was very reasonable . . . a refreshing change from the self-righteous crap I usually get from the other side. I was able to work with one particular DA who actually listened to my arguments and worked with me to come to a few reasonable outcomes. We were not exactly giving away the keys to the jail, but we did work out for several people to wait for trial out of jail rather than on the inside. The more serious crimes ended up with cash bonds, as expected, but I didn't waste his time asking to let every-damn-person out. Sadly, he is moving up to the trial division with the DA's office and we will not have him to work with much longer. It was good to have someone who actually sat down at the table.

Saturday was for errands. Our car is in the shop, so we borrowed Mr. Vit-One's truck. It is a piece of work. It has some 219,000 miles on it, creaks when it turns, and has a minor list to the right side. . . but I love it. I am trying to get him to give it to me when he replaces it. It needs a new windshield and maybe a new engine, but it would work for me just fine.

Later today we're GAYBC'ing it up out at Conyers. Should be fun, I'm taking AY's old bike again. This will be my second trip on it. The first one was interesting: It only has one gear in front and the clipless pedals are very loose. If you look at them sideways you come unclipped. I may need to figure out how to tighten them up a bit. It has been great learning on a different style bike, the frame is bigger, so I am learning how to compensate on the tight turns. I've only hit a few trees so far.

Saw 'A History of Violence' last night. The new theaters at Atlantic Station opened up; cool place. Viggo was good, so was Maria Bello. I like both of them a lot. The movie itself was pretty good, but not exactly what I expected. There were a few gratuitous scenes (the sex went on a touch too long a few times), but overall I enjoyed it. So many cool movies are coming out this fall. Wallace and Gromit, Harry Potter, Narnia... man, I have a lot of tickets to buy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home